Monday, January 11, 2010

Here we go!

I am a single, 30-something woman who is excited about learning how to better connect with communities around the world. I currently live in Edmonton, Alberta and am preparing to go to to Indonesia for at least 2 years. While there, I will teach English and work with a group of people from around the world who are involved in community development and water projects. I have traveled to Southeast Asia twice in the last 3 years - amazing experiences that have definitely enhanced my view of the world!


One of my trips took me into a community in Phnom Penh, Cambodia where girls are at risk of being sold into sex slavery. We were able to provide activities for many of these girls which allowed them to experience love and care they did no see on a regular basis. The Ratanak Foundation was our partner organization that continues to work in this community providing education and health care for those in need.

I have a desire to care for people in need around the world - my hope is that through this course I will better understand the needs of the community I am in, whether it is here in Canada or on the other side of the globe.

My personal goals for this course include developing a better understanding of issues around the world, learning from people and organizations who are doing things right and to learn how to support women and children in their community and cultural context.

Here are three links with information regarding international community development:

Millennium Development Goals - This website from the United Nations gives a large amount of information regarding what needs to be done around the world to end poverty by 2015.

International Association for Community Development - This website is full of information regarding projects, resources, events, organizations around the world.

The Community Development Handbook - Although the focus of this website and document is Canada, I believe much of the information can be transferable. The purpose of this handbook is "to support the understanding and effective application of community development".

Let the learning continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment