Monday, January 18, 2010

What does globalization mean for you?

Our provocative question for Unit 2 is "What does globalization mean for you?" I don't think we're required to update our blog, but I thought it would be a good place to answer these questions.

Here is what globalization means to me:
  • The amazing ability to travel more quickly and to more places than ever before. I remember flights being so expensive as a child that I don't think I expected to travel much at all.
  • Being more aware of what is going on in the world around me and feeling more responsible to do something to help.
  • Accessing more and more goods that I really don't need and being confused as to whether or not the consumer mentality in the Global North is a help or a hindrance to those in the Global South.
  • The realization that people around the world are all the same - we love, we hate; we laugh, we cry; we live, we die; life goes on.
  • The ability to speak with family and friends who live around the world - I've got two sisters who live in Asia and we use Skype regularly to keep in touch.
  • The ability to taste wonderful international food in the country of its birth!

I know there's a lot more I could add here - so much of my life is what it is today because of globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment